29th June 1863 - statue of Lord Sidney Herbert unveiled in Market Place

On the 29th June 1863 a statue of Sidney Herbert was unveiled in Salisbury Market Place.

‘The Builder’ reported that:

The statue of Lord Herbert of Lea, erected in front of the Council House in Salisbury, has been inaugurated by Earl Grey and Ripon, acting on behalf of Lord Palmerston. The statue, which is by Baron Marochetti, is in bronze, 9 feet high, and stands on a grey granite pedestal, from the works of Mr. Freeman, of Penryn, Cornwall. The pedestal itself is nearly 10 feet high. Lord Herbert is represented as in the act of delivering a speech. His left hand rests, as was usual, on his side, whilst in his right he holds a plan of the Herbert Hospital, - his favourite scheme for the well-being of the soldier. 'Sidney Herbert' is the only inscription on the pedestal. The cost of the statue was ?2,000 (The Builder, 11 July 1863)[1]

Footnotes

[1] Quoted in a very good document commissioned by ‘Salisbury Vision’: The Citizens War Memorial, Market Place, Salisbury - History and Significance July 2011 by Rodney Melville & Partners Ltd, whose website is www.rmpuk.com

Last Post Next Post