2nd May 1767 - Salisbury Infirmary is established

Salisbury General Infirmary Salisbury Infirmary was first established on 2nd May 1767[1].

According to James Easton’s Salisbury Guide:

This structure owes its origin to the munificence of Anthony Lord Feversham who in 1763 bequeathed five hundred pounds to the first public charity of this kind that should be established in the county of Wilts within five years after his decease.

To so benevolent a purpose the nobility and gentry gave every possible encouragement and the subscriptions arose in a short time to a considerable sum.

The benefactions, subscriptions, legacies and other charitable donations and collections during the sixty two years from the first establishment, Sept 24 1776 to August 31 1828, amounted to £97932 8s 4d, and its general and great utility may be proved from the following abstract of the number of In and Out Patients during the sixty one years from the first establishment May 2 1767 to August 28 1828

In Patients 24232 Out Patients 31936

It is situated in the parish of Fisherton and is a large brick building with the following inscription in front

General Infirmary supported by voluntary Contribution 1767

Mr Easton gives two dates for the ‘first establishment’ - May 2nd seems to be when the Infirmary opened its doors to patients.

Pic: By Chris Talbot [CC-BY-SA-2.0], via Wikimedia Commons

Footnotes

[1] ‘The Salisbury Guide: Comprising the History and Antiquities of Old Sarum, and the Origin and Present of New Sarum Or Salisbury’, James Easton, page 44, Link (which may or may not work!):The Salisbury Guide: Comprising the History and Antiquities of Old Sarum … - James Easton - Google Books

Last Post Next Post